July 6, 2008

Ecuador

I've had some people ask about getting updates of the experience I am having here in Ecuador so I decided to jump on the bandwagon with all the sister-in-laws and Em and start actually using my blog.

Well, I have been here for a little over a week now and it has already been an adventure and learning experience for me. Our flight from the United States took us to Quito Ecuador, which is the capital. We stayed at the OSSO house there for the night and then took a forty-five minute flight to Cuenca which is the city I am living in for the next two months. The house that I'm living in is actually two houses hooked together by a back walk way. They are really good conditions and I'm enjoying all the crazy girls that I live with. There are so many different personalities that make it all so fun. As volunteers we are assigned to work two shifts a day with three shift off each week. During our off shifts we are able to do whatever we want, this is where shopping and site seeing within the city takes place most often. Our day starts with boarding the bus to go to our sites at seven, a break for lunch from noon till two, and then the afternoon shift ends at around six. The shifts make for long days but very fun and always different.

Enough with the technical stuff lets get to the real reason I'm here, the children. They are amazing. You can feel their love and sweet spirits. We have five main sites that we work at throughout the week. The first we call Cunas, it is about 15 little kids from 3 weeks to 2 years old. The second sight we all Casas. Casas has about 13 kids form ages 2-8. Both of these belong to one orphanage run by Catholic nuns. The three other sites are from the orphanage that OSSO recently opened up. Here there is; Milagros, with older severely handicapped kids; Allegria, with healthy infants and babies; and Esperanza, with younger severely handicapped children. They are all so sweet and each one provides a different experience.

I am loving it all. It has been and will continue to be a humbling, life changing experience. I appreciate all the love and support I receive and love any updates I receive. I couldn't do it without you all. :)


3 comments:

Jinjer said...

Thanks for the update, Lou. We love you and are so happy you are having this experience.

Emma said...

Love that you are using your blog. I likewise am so happy that you are having this opportunity as well. You are the sweetest person I know. I love you sis!

Unknown said...

Great post! I'm glad you are doing this whole blogging thing! I'll be sure to check it often. :) We all miss you here. You are fantastic.